|name||E-cigarette and Vaping Attributed Lung Injuries|
|category||false attribution, definitional retreat|
|used-by||CDC, TI/CTFK/PAVe, WHO, CNN, Krishni|
EVALI was a 2019 case cluster of acute lung injuries, largely confined to the US. It was (reluctantly and belatedly) verified to be caused by contraband THC vaporizer cartridges, cut with tocopheryl acetate (vitamine E oil). The CDCs opportunistic misattribution to nicotine e-cigarettes started the anti-vaping hysteria. But necessitated auxiliary lies for early e-cigarette bans in the US.
Notably the origin cause was long documented by independent journalists, researchers, the FDA, vape and THC industry, and non-corporate media. But the CDC purposefully rescoped the acronym, misdirected investigations, while guising themselves as being "data-driven". The intentional smear campaign required leaving THC users in the dark, thus raising the death toll to 68. Until a real pandemic forced the CDC to resume public health activities.
- The outbreak of lung injuries often known as "EVALI" was nothing to do with nicotine vaping
- Public Health Expert: US EVALI Outbreak “Was A Public Health Fiasco”
- A Look Back at CDC’s Response to the 2019 "EVALI" Lung Injuries
- RW: CDC DECEPTION | Not Just Wrong, But Horrific
- Lung Disease Epidemic: Will CDC and FDA Tell the Truth?
- RW: CDC misled public on EVALI, causing harm
- Former CDC official: Agency’s refusal to warn of ‘THC vaping’ likely contributed to rising death toll
- New Evidence Links “EVALI” Vaping Misinformation With Increased Cigarette Smoking
- The Mystery Lung Disease Caused by “Vaping” Was a Textbook Drug Panic
The redeclaration from "VAPI" to "EVALI" was largely driven/promulgated by Dr. Brian A. King of the CDC OSH. (He also misconstrued summary reports to validate the flavour-fallacy). Notably his job would normally entail making scientific details more understandable to the general public.
Looks like he took [ergo-harmful] to a whole new level. https://regulatorwatch.com/regulator_watch/cdc-transcripts-and-audio-files-of-telebriefings-on-vaping-related-lung-illnesses/
"Data-driven" and "not ruling out anything"
- delayed guidelines for testing on THC
- Schuchats` vague allusions?
- "Vaping-associated" is a weasel phrase to confound e-cigarettes (commonly called "vaping") with THC vaporizers (commonly referred to as "dubbing").
- It's clearly a false equivocation right built into the rescoped acronym.
more recent talking point: "mixing"
- Seen in [SPD]: assumption that vit E oil could be "mixed" by e-cig users into water-solluable pg/vg. (Kitchen expertise: nil-pwa)
- origin unclear (prolly TI/WHO)
Reckless media reporting (CNN et al.)
- CuomoZone and Dr. Sanjay...
- infamous shouting match...
- > Whole presentation was semantically like „XY causes autism“. Now feigning > confusion on where the anti-vaxxers might have drawn their legitimization from.
Utilized as core rationale for anti-vaping legislation
- e.g. MA (flavour bans, possibly even raised use of contaminated THC vapes?)
- Also: India (and the WHO almost gleeful on inactivity on tobacco/smoking prevalence)
Wikipedia kept it alive
This is fairly interesting, from a technical standpoint. There seem to be
some WHO afficionados brigading WP articles that confound e-cigs and THC vaping,
and of course EVALI. Under the typical guises of "vandalism" and "own research".
(Despite you know, ample existing research.)
- cdc-evali.png [download] added by mario on 2021-09-14 10:22:27. [details]