|name||Fourth-hand vaping syndrome|
"Fourth-hand vaping syndrome" is a persiflage on "third-hand smoke" (from a study exaggarated beyond any effects of secondary smoke inhalation).
Gonna use that phrase when referring to second-hand knowledge of observational misdiagnoses from anti-vaping propaganda. In particular if it's too obvious that the origin was sensationalist media reporting.
Clear cases of FHVS would be:
- Referring to EVALI deaths as e-cigarette-related.
- ergo-harmful arguments insinuating mass casualties.
- overtly absurd conflations, such as "over 15000 flavours were 'invented' by the tobacco-industry".
Explaining the joke (trust me, it's a German thing)
- Syndrome is a fairly strong insult.
- But the origin of some of the misconceptions is a clear case of mass hysteria.
- And the assertion behind "vaping" in "FHVS" is that the long-term / by-stander / after-effects of vaping in the US media might be brain-damage.
- Full-circley insult. Much proud. Also, because it's a bit bleak.
arrow "anti" "vaping" MH: box "media" "hysteria" at (2.2cm, -0.1cm) FHVS: oval "Fourth-hand" "vaping syndrome" at MH + (+2.55cm, +1.55cm) BD: box "brain" "damage" at FHVS + (1cm, -2.5cm) arrow "induces" aligned above -> from north of MH to west of FHVS arrow "vaping" aligned above "causes" aligned below -> dashed color red right down from south of FHVS arrow " multiplies" aligned below <- from south of MH to west of BD
- Vaping causes FHVS.