|funding||The Union, $150.000|
|motivation||outsourcing ("job order employees")|
|bloomberg ties||The Union (Bloomberg Initiative)|
Filipino health organizations originally considered a complete vaping ban in 2019. It since emerged that the FDA’s stance on full or partial bans was swayed by Bloomberg Initiative grants. After disclosure and clarifications from local advocacy groups (Vapers PH, and CAPHRA), the Philippines’ senate now passed risk-proportionate regulations for e-cigarettes and HTPs (tobacco toasters).
It should be noted that the FP-FDA sought out the policy-inducing grants (which officials later admitted) itself. But Bloombergs interference can be assumed the modus operandi in LMICs and the APAC region at large. It's testament to the American superiority complex and the lackluster scientific foundation of their anti-vaping stance (wouldn't require bribery if it had legs to stand on).
- Bloomberg faces mounting pressure to explain funding of Philippines’ FDA
- Philippines senate to lead region with progressive vaping laws
- House to pass landmark bill regulating e-cigs and heated tobacco products to curb cigarette smoking
- Explosive research busts bullying billionaire
- Foreign NGO pushing for ban of cigarette alternatives funded drafting of PH regulations
- FDA admits getting over $150,000 from anti-tobacco NGO to regulate vapes
Although it seems, BI now tries to utilize astrotruf campaigns to badmouth less risky alternatives with american TOTC messaging:
- Bloomberg philanthropies tries to smear philippines vape bill
- Local anti-vaping groups also received millions of grant money from Bloomberg
talking points for original restrictions
- "Administrative Order No. 2020-0055", seems to be fairly general, not much to glance from. (Except the usual disdain for "tobacco cessation claims, reduced risk/tobacco harm reduction claims")
- Philippines: Filipino FDA reminds doctors that it has ordered them not to engage with E-Cig companies because E-cigs are more dangerous than smoking and all claims that they are not have been debunked
- Seems to coincide with EVALI scaremongering (Dec 2019).
- Philippines: Head Doctor of the Indonesian Respiratory Association says that smoking cigarettes and nic vapes are equally dangerous
- ergo-harmful; albeit that might just be a particular poor transcription ("considered equal because they consist of the same chemicals" → too daft to be a real statement)