Artifical tobacco flavours
|motivation||appeal to spite (again?)|
Policy makers likely assume "tobacco" flavoured e-cigarettes to taste exactly like combustible cigarettes. They don't. Or that this ought to be the natural taste companion of nicotine. It isn't. And even that this would make them repelling to any and all non-smokers. Not historically, no. - Which are all probable progenitors for the flavour-fallacy.
Tobacco flavours aren't real. They're mostly quite synthetic compounds (mix of cocoa, liquorice, herb, wood aromas). And it's near impossible to replicate any burnt/ash aromas with only plant extracts. Even the overcentrated flavour mixes only resemble dried leaves, but don't provide exact replicas. (Even less plausible for 3.5µl puffs in pod devices). They're often just carried by name association and impaired taste buds. Which is why they're prevalent for dual use, not for successful quitters.
- plant extracts rare
- largely synthetic
- muted or barely reminescent relation to combusted cigs / ash
- raised toxicity from excessive concentration and mixture of components
- Add Health canada ingredient list (that seems fairly complete, though a clearly futile guessing attempt, in no way matches up to the proclaimed toxicity worries)
- albeit a response from FA would be more useful).
- Assessment on RY8 (fruity concentrate smell, minty if overdosed, largely mystery taste).
- → This seems to be the main confusion of policy makers. Based on the assumption that the "tobacco" label implies the presumed "appalling" cigarette taste or something. Or it's really intended as retribution/penalty for former smokers.
- Should also add a note that e-cig users are perhaps overworried, the relapse effect from ATFs is less probable after polonged vaping. (Much more plausible for recent switchers. But also voluminous RDA/RTA usage.)
- (push for ATFs in e-cigs might just be regulatory validation creep again.)
- Find more historic notes: RY4 came about a few years after the first modern e-cigs; https://old.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/1kabab/ry4_was_there_an_ry3_ry2_and_ry1/cbmxj6e/
HealthCan made a frail attempt at prescribing tobacco flavours by aggregating an ingredient list. Quite a few mishaps, duplicates, and very apparent why this won't work. But even a short overview confirms the most common perceptions:
|perfume agent||odor, taste, description|
|trimethylpyrazine||Cocoa, Earth, Must, Potato, Roast|
|anethole||anise, fennel, liquorice|
|estragole||estragon, I guess?|
|tetramethylpyrazine||fermented cocoa, sourdough|
|2-hydroxyisophorone||woody, phenolic, nut|
|methyl benzoate||feijoa tree fruit|
|2-acetylpyridine||corn tortillas, popcorn, beer|
|3,5-xylenol||not actually a flavouring agent, but toxin?|
|safranal||safran, I guess?|
|propenylguaethol||sweet-vanilla, woody, spicy, tobacco, powdery|
|cuminaldehyde||eucalyptus, myrrh, cassia, cumin|
|ketoisophorone||Citrus, floral, musty, tea like with green sweet fruity nuances|
|beta-damascenone||Woody, floral, herbal, green and fruity with spicy tobacco nuances|
|veratraldehyde||peppermint, ginger, raspberry|
|butyric acid||isn't that nic "salts"?|
|cedrol||Cupressus, Juniperus, Oregano|
|menthone||aromatic and minty odor|
|pulegone||pennyroyal, peppermint, camphor|
|para-cymene||sweet aroma, hints of citrus, cumin, thyme, woods|
|isomenthone||minty cooling mentholic|
|carvone||caraway, spearmint, and dill|
|carveol||spearmint and caraway|
|gamma-terpinene||Bitter, Citrus, cardamom and marjoram|
|methyl salicylate or wintergreen oil||evergreen plant|
|perilla alcohol||lavender, lemongrass, sage|
|thymol||thyme, aromatic odor|
|alpha-humulene||clove, basil, hops, cannabis|
|carvyl acetate||Green, Spearmint|
|2-methyl furan||chocolate odor|
|phenethyl alcohol||floral odor|
- https://old.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/pugalp/tobacco_flavour_concentrates/ they totally dont smell or taste like tobacco. the tobacco extracts juices smell like wet tobacco leaves, the other ones approximate something by combining nuts, sandal wood-like flavor, acetyl pyrazine and whatnot.
- https://old.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/px9r3k/fda_confirms_unflavored_eliquid_is_flavored_even/ I've never encountered one that taste like cigarettes. Depending on the blend they're usually more like pipe or cigar tobacco to me. Some kind of taste like how cigarettes smell when you first open the pack but there's no way to accurately recreate the burning tobacco taste.