The debate on e-cigarettes is more toxic than e-cigarettes themselves. Classic tobacco control is genuinely concerned over addiction potentials, and the involvement of corporate/big tobacco. While for-profit public health groups resort to conjectures and misrepresentations, paralogisms (Think of the children, and flavour fallacy), straight up disinformation (see EVALI), and the obvious repugnance towards public discourse (Bloomberg/WHO).
- Insofar it's financially motivated, it's likely just a delay tactic.
- Since it all heavily relies on framing and science denial.
- Based a bit on disdain for ex-smokers and indifference to tobacco addiction.
- Once more plays into the hands of tobacco companies and exporteurs.
There's never been a harm reduction strategy (seatbelts, methadone, face masks) that wasn't met with hostility. THR opposition however seems motivated beyond ideology and tobacco side hustles. But since armchair diagnosis will go nowhere, this project is about classification firstly. (And providing some quick entry points.)
- List some relevant organizations, in particular Bloomberg front groups.
- Political parties are on-topic, if there were attempts at curtailing smoking cessation.
- Attempt documenting NGO/FPH relations, and probable motivations (mostly for benefit of the doubt; it's just observational classification).
- Try to come up with a scoring system on scientific contravention, even if only approximating a list of points to check.
- Don't put every word on the gold scale for e.g. PAVe or public appearances. But for TI/WHO: do.
This wiki is built upon a source control system. Registration is open, no email address required. But might have to be curtailed later (if Wikipedia brigadiers get involved).
public mailing list
Not officially started yet: [email protected]freelists.org
To combat background lobbying, it's sensible not to hide out in social media bubbles. The barrier to entry is fairly low, allows quicker involvement of interested (and desinterested) parties; and mailing lists have always proven useful to e.g. the open source movement.
Half of the worlds problems are caused
by people not talking to each other.
-- brought to you by smart-sounding simpleton quotes®
This project started as naming joke on the Truth Initiative. (Originally for tobacco reduction and undoing the tobacco industries disinformation; but now resorts to similar tactics). The very american trope with their fallacious name is the motivation for HI.
Also obviously this is a partisan pro-vaping/harm reduction assessment. No financial ties to e-cig, tobacco, pharma or tax preservation efforts. Publicity is the enemy of background lobbying.